Although it can be hard to obtain life insurance protection when dealing with a serious health issue, sometimes it just takes working with the right insurance company to get your application approved – possibly even at Standard premium rates.
For applicants with Barrett’s Esophagus, you may have been turned down for life insurance in the past. It can lead to a type of esophageal cancer – which is quite rare, and it is typically characterized by abnormal growth to the cells in the lower end of the esophagus.
There is good news, though. Companies that specialize in high-risk life insurance cases know what life insurance underwriters look for when reviewing applications and can help you to raise the possibility of obtaining the security desired.
Life Insurance with Barrett’s Esophagus
When applying for coverage, the life insurance underwriters will seek out more information about your condition. This will help them in determining how much of a risk you may be to the insurer when the time comes to file claims.
It can also help the underwriters in pricing your policy should you be approved for coverage. Therefore, they will inquire about a variety of questions about your condition, such as:
- What date were your diagnoses with Barrett’s Esophagus? Because Barrett’s Esophagus can be serious – and often life-threatening – early diagnosis can be helpful in delaying its progression. This can also help to improve your chances of being approved for life insurance coverage.
- What symptoms, if any, have you experienced within the past 6 months? If you have experienced certain symptoms, it could signal the condition is worsening. If not, it is a positive sign.
- Have you undergone any type of surgery? Was there any type of surgery or biopsy for your condition, the information that was obtained from the procedure can provide the underwriters with much more in-depth details.
- Consistently visit the oncologist for check-ups? If you are regularly visiting your doctor, this proves you are actively taking part in handling your issue. This, too, will be a positive signal to the underwriters.
- Have you had any diagnostic testing performed in the past year? Recent testing such as an endoscopy examination is another way to obtain more in-depth information regarding your condition, and it can help the underwriters to better assess how risky you may present to the insurance company.
- Do you have a history of Dysplasia? Is it Short of Long Segment?
In addition to such questions, you will be required to undergo a med exam as part of your application for life insurance coverage. This will consist of providing a blood and urine sample.
As with other applicants for life insurance coverage, you will also be evaluated based on information such as your:
- Height and weight
- Smoking habits / Tobacco use
- Health history and family health history
- Occupation and income
All of these answers will impact your rates just as much as your health conditions. Your occupation and hobbies could change the way the carrier views your application.
Insurance Rates with Barrett’s Esophagus
Once all of your information has been reviewed, the underwriters will be able to determine as to whether you qualify for coverage. When the determined condition is under control – then you may qualify for a policy with a Standard rating.
In most cases, a Standard policy rating is the best rating an individual with Barrett’s Esophagus can qualify for.
Why do applicants with Barrett’s pay more? Because people with this condition have a higher chance of being diagnosed with esophagus cancer.
Here is the thing, people with Barrett’s Esophagus have a higher risk for cancer, but the chances are still VERY SLIM. Less than 1% will be diagnosed with the rare form of cancer, but it’s still going to cause some concern for the insurance company.
Should the underwriters feel, your condition poses uncertainty, then you may still qualify for a policy, but it will be at a Substandard rating. You will still obtain coverage. However, the monthly payment will be quoted higher as to accommodate for the greater risk.
Getting Life Insurance Coverage with Barrett’s Esophagus
If you’re ready to take the next step in applying for life insurance coverage with Barrett’s Esophagus, it is best to work with an agency which specializes in high-risk cases and can point you in the direction of the insurance carriers that are more likely to take on certain risks.
Doing so can save you hours throughout the application process. It can also help in getting you the life insurance protection you need much more quickly and easily.
Through the years, we’ve talked to clients who were diagnosed with Barrett’s Esophagus, and when they tried to apply for life insurance, they were rejected. They came to us as a last-ditch effort to get insurance.
We told them the magic words – YOU CAN GET LIFE INSURANCE!
Yes, that’s right, even with health complications like Barrett’s, there are still choices. You aren’t restricted to one subpar plan with rates you can’t possibly afford.
You’ll have choices, and you will see just how cheap those monthly payments can be.
As you probably know, not every insurance company is going to view your application through the same light. Some carriers are going to be harsher than others. You need a carrier who is understanding and experienced when it comes to applicants with serious medical conditions.
If you have questions about any life insurance related questions or want to explore some options for you, let us know. We aren’t just here to sell you expensive coverage and move onto the next client.
We make personal recommendations for all of our clients based on their needs. We’ve made it our personal goal to help as many customers as possible find a plan they can afford, even if they are in less than stellar health.
Because we work with more than 30 companies, we can give you all of those quotes based on your Barrett’s Esophagus diagnosis and how much coverage you need.
To get a quote call us at 888-552-6159 or fill out the form on this page.